Job: System Safety Engineer
Engineers are the reason we exist – they are the very core of our company. Be a part of the team that is powering engineering solutions that drive technology.
We are a high growth, agile company creating safety and mission critical solutions in a synergistic environment between our people and our client partners. From F-35 and F-16 fighter jets, to the latest aviation technologies, to working on medical devices, spacecraft, and satellites.
This role is remote but does require 2 weeks onsite onboarding and travel up to 20%
EXB Solutions (a Quest Defense company) is hiring a System Safety Engineer to be responsible for developing, managing, and communicating the aircraft system safety methodology for a new military development program to internal and external customers through identification and analysis of system contributions to potential hazards in design, operation, and maintenance. The position will be at the forefront of emerging system safety techniques including Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE).
Responsibilities May Include:
- Planning, defining, and verifying System Safety requirements and System Safety hazard analysis artifacts to ensure design integrity and safety.
- Working with the engineering team to ensure air vehicle safety of flight.
- Influencing air vehicle design to improve system and System safety features and design.
- Performing air vehicle Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) efforts.
- Identification and analysis of potential hazards from concept definition through development, production, and product fielding.
- Developing fault management techniques to be employed by the system’s complex airborne electronic hardware and System.
- Performing the necessary hazard analyses to identify potentially hazardous conditions and recommend actions that would contribute to minimizing or precluding hazards.
- Performing System Safety Hazard Analysis, developing analysis reports, providing validation/verification of requirements, and providing feedback to the program and customer.
- Administering System Safety activities on assigned engineering design teams. Interfacing with the customer and teammates on System safety related issues. Monitoring, investigating, and resolving issues relative to System Safety Engineering.
- Representing Bell with military/industry at System Safety Working Groups and Aircraft System Working Groups.
- Reviewing Bell and supplier submitted documents relative to System Safety Engineering IAW AMCOM Regulation 385-17.
- Reviewing Bell and supplier derived requirements and safety requirements IAW RTCA DO-178C and RTCA DO-254 and SAE ARP4764A.
- Providing guidance to Bell engineering teams and suppliers relative to System Safety Engineering.
- Maintaining and implementing the System Safety Program Plan documented processes.
- Producing System Safety contractual documentation required by military customer (for example, Identifying Hazards, Hazard Description, Risk Levels, Risk Assessments, Risk Mitigation, Residual Risk and Hazard Tracking for both System and complex/programmable hardware).
- Performing System Safety critical function analysis.
- Providing System Safety experience to engineering and management personnel by various methods ranging from informal discussions to formal presentations.
- Multiple levels of experience will be considered with at least 5+ years System safety engineering experience in the aerospace industry on military applications.
- Experience in development of Functional Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, System Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analysis, Safety Assessment Reports and supporting safety artifacts.
- Experience with quantitative reliability and maintainability analysis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated Communication Skills needed to brief top-level management, customers and/or large groups on an occasional-to-frequent basis.
- Experience with MIL-STD-882E System Safety Programs and risk assessment process.
- Experience with SAE ARP4761 and safety aspects of SAE ARP4754A.
- Experience with system safety aspects of RTCA DO-178C and/or RTCA DO-254.
- Experience with either System development per RTCA DO-178C, or complex/programmable hardware development per RTCA DO-254.
- 10+ years System Safety engineering experience in the aerospace industry on military applications.
- Aircraft system requirements development or verification experience per SAE ARP-4754A.
- Familiarity with Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA).
- Familiarity with military System safety guidance (Joint Services System Safety Engineering Handbook, AMCOM Regulation 385-17).
- Familiarity with Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), Systems Modeling Language (SysML) experience or Model Based Safety Analysis (MBSA) experience.
- Familiarity with aircraft system cyber security standards and policies.
- Familiarity with auto-coding tools and associated safety concerns.
System Safety Engineer – Remote
Why Work With Us
We are a family-like-company. We are collaborative. We believe in embracing change. We believe in doing consistent good work. EXB houses smart, curious and passionate about “making a difference” people. Our company culture sets us apart from others, as well as:
- 401k with Employer-Match Contributions
- Medical, Vision, Dental, and Life coverage
- Disability Benefits
- Gym Membership
- Generous compensation structure
- Ample learning opportunities
- Significant opportunities for advancement
- Next Generation / Cutting Edge Technology Projects
- Collaborative Culture
- Remote and Hybrid Opportunities Available
- Certification Assistance Available (Approval Required)
- Flexible, Friendly and Fun work environment
EXB Solutions (EXB) is a U.S.-based engineering service company with a Fortune 100 customer base and demonstrated record of delivering cutting edge results in systems and software engineering solutions for organizations delivering mission and safety critical applications and products. EXB’s organizational origins are over 22 years old and today comprises over 170 talented engineers. EXB serves the Aerospace, Defense and Medical Devices industries with systems engineering and embedded software development services for safety and mission critical applications. EXB’s purpose is to help customers build high-quality software. EXB’s software solutions have helped fly successful space missions, enhanced patients’ lives through innovative medical devices, and advanced commercial and military flight systems for safer travel and accomplishing mission objectives.
EXB Solutions understands our client’s business challenges. Which is why we go beyond what’s required to meet their software needs. We are a preferred and trusted supplier to technology companies. Our clients stay with us and consistently engage us on multiple engineering activities, projects and programs. What makes us different? Our engineers and our leaders!
EXB Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.